Saturday, September 03, 2005

Journalists and humanity

Does anybody wonder why journalists turn in their humanity in the field? I believe in personal responsibility. I believe that rather than sitting around and asking, "Why doesn't somebody do something?" that we should rephrase it and say "What can I do?" If only our journalists believed the same thing.

I have seen reporter after reporter passionately reporting how many in New Orleans had not had food or water for days, and that they themselves know that the roads are passable because they have been passing through them with their crews for days. They report that people are dying for lack of food and water. The obvious question to me is, 'Why don't YOU bring in some food and water?' Even if they can't bring in enough for everyone, wouldn't some water for some victims be better than none? But the journalists don't see that as their responsibility. They see that their sole job is to report the story, to be an outside observer and not part of the story. How can you be in the midst of human suffering and not do something? How can you be next to the victims and complain about the government's response when you are next to the victims and doing nothing? I simply don't understand.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Keep up the good work. I'm gonna bookmark you!
Come visit my site sometime:home equity mortgage. Some of the home equity mortgage related stuff I have could be extremely useful to you.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home